Booking your test
Be careful when booking your theory test online. Many websites provide booking services but add a booking fee on top. You should pay no more than £23 for your test. Make sure you use the official gov.uk site by using the link below
About the test
It costs £23 to book your Theory Test. You must pass both parts of the test to pass your Theory Test.
Your theory test pass certificate lasts for 2 years after taking your test. You’ll need to take and pass the theory test again if you haven’t passed your practical test by then.
There are 2 parts to the test:
1. Multiple Choice Questions
- The pass park for this test is 43 out of 50.
- You will be asked a variety of questions and there may be a case study.
- You can move between questions and ‘flag’ questions that you want to come back to later in the test
2. Hazard Perception
- The pass mark for this part is 44 out of 75.
- Before you start the hazard perception part, you’ll be shown a short video clip about how it works
- You’ll then be shown a series of 14 video clips on a computer screen. The clips feature everyday road scenes and contain at least one ‘developing hazard’ – but one of the clips will feature 2 ‘developing hazards’
- The earlier you notice a developing hazard and make a response, the higher you will score. The most you can score for each developing hazard is 5 points. To get a high score you need to respond to the developing hazard as soon as you see it starting.
- If you click continuously or in a pattern during a clip a message will appear at the end. It will tell you that you have scored zero for that particular clip.